Gasthaus zum Ochsen
For telephone inquiries please call:
+49 621 - 7 99 55-0

Book now...

...and we give you a free bottle of bubbly on your arrival

Our history

Guesthouse “zum Ochsen” in Feudenheim, opposite the time-honoured steeple of the local Catholic church, is the oldest guesthouse in and around Mannheim. It has survived three centuries and to this day its original design can be enjoyed even after three devastating wars. The magnificent timbered structure made from heavy oak beams, elaborately put together, is one of the most valuable testimonies of former times, and it is a listed building today. The building’s deep basement with its heavy vaults made from rough stone probably dates back to before the Thirty Years’ War, just like the building next door, which has the inscription 1574 written on the round arch above its front door.
 
1632 Ludwig Back, alderman and court mayor, built the “Ochsen”. The Back family ran the “Ochsen” for more than 200 years.

1639 The “Ochsen” survives the  destruction of Feudenheim during the Thirty Year’s War virtually unscathed.

1680 The wonderful timbered top floor and the enormous roof truss made from oak are completed  – this is the date that’s on the door stone above the front door to this day, and this is the year in which the guesthouse “zum Ochsen” was first mentioned in a document.

1689 Mannheim was destroyed and burnt down during the War of the Palatinate Succession, the same year in which Heidelberg Castle also goes up in flames. In Feudenheim there were also several fires, which were put out by courageous citizens.


1863 - 1872 The guesthouse “zum Ochsen”, which had an official permit to accommodate guests (German: Realgastgerechtigkeit), was owned by Justus Riem.

1874 - 1904 Albert Brecht, who was both an innkeeper and a postman by vocation, took over the “Ochsen”.

1904 - 1945
 Ludwig Kessler took over the guesthouse. It is thanks to his courageous wife, who at the risk of her own life extinguished fire bombs that had got into the storage room during an air raid using sand, that the beautiful old building was saved from destruction.

1945-1958
 The inn was passed on to daughter Emilie and her husband August Klein. They invested significant resources and redesigned the rooms to give them today’s elegant yet cosy character and intimate and artistic flair, while always respecting the building’s original style and tradition.

1958 The guesthouse “Zum Ochsen” is taken over by the Bockhoff family. Theodor Bockhoff and his wife Wilma modernise the kitchen, the side rooms and expand the guest rooms, adapting the guesthouse to modern-day standards. The guesthouse is owned by the Bockhoff to this day.

2011
 The Hirth-Sonntag family leases the guesthouse “zum Ochsen”. Since then it has been running the time-honoured guesthouse in the traditional manner.
Excellent food and fine beverages combined with the very pleasant and harmonious traditional German décor, and its cosy and informal character will always make this guesthouse a popular meeting place for guests from near and far, and its many regulars will return again and again.